Source is a tool for today’s water crises.
Developed in response to water scarcity, Source has become the adopted tool for managing Australia’s scarce and highly variable water resources, making it a crucial tool for climate change adaptation.
Underpinned by world-class science and technical innovation, Source has been applied and validated by water managers extensively in a wide range of real-world water use situations, both in Australia and internationally.
Source enables you to find the balance between agriculture, industry and growing urban demand while protecting the environment.
It is a nationally consistent platform; with planning, operations and forecasting modes. By integrating water resource assessment and policy, Source can produce water accounts, determine water allocations and manage rivers according to agreements and rules. Source provides a consistent repeatable framework for evidence-based decision making.
Source has been built collaboratively, in partnership with governments, industry and research organisations.
As Australia’s National Hydrological Modelling Platform, Source is:
- based on modern tools and the best available research
- relevant for all aspects of water quantity, quality and environmental management
- suitable for all climates and environments
- adaptable and readily updateable to include new policy, knowledge or management approaches
- flexible and able to link to new and existing models and other information systems
- supported through documented methods and guidelines and a community of practice.
All Australian government water management agencies use Source, and it is increasingly being adopted by water corporations and authorities, as well as the private sector. Through Australian aid initiatives and direct engagement, Source is also being used internationally.